Take the stress out of opening and closing your pool with The Pool Guys
Every year the experts at The Pool Guys open and close hundreds of pools for our customers. We also have many customers who prefer to handle it themselves. If you’re the do-it-yourself type, we have provided the key steps we use when opening and closing your pool. If you would like The Pool Guys to handle the work for you, give us a call at (269) 372-4636 or send us a message through our contact form. We look forward to assisting you!
Opening Your Pool
Opening your pool is something you probably both look forward to and dread at the same time. However, opening your own pool doesn’t need to be something you dread every spring. We open hundreds of pools of all types each spring, using the same equipment and methods that you can use! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our knowledgeable staff at the store and they will be happy to assist you. You can also visit us for free water testing to start the season off with perfectly balanced water.
Here are some key steps we follow when opening your pool at the start of the swimming season:
- Remove any leaves, dirt, or other debris from the pool cover first.
- Pump off any standing water from the top of the pool cover.
- Remove the cover carefully, then give it a good wash. Once it is completely dry, store it for the season.
- Add water to the pool until it reaches the proper level.
- Start your filter system.
- Let the filter run for 24-48 hours.
- Bring in a water sample and we will make sure you add to your pool what you need. This will avoid any possible staining from metals and balance as needed to have a safe, clean swimming environment. Also, don’t forget your list! Make a list of what products you have at home so we can use them up instead of selling you something you already have.
Closing Your Pool
It’s important to remember that closing your pool is also winterizing your pool. It requires more care and attention to detail than the opening. Because water expands when it freezes, it can do a lot of damage to plumbing and equipment if not properly drained or blown out. For water quality, there are several steps to take before closing your pool, including balancing the water before closing. We recommend bringing us a water sample a few weeks before you plan to close to achieve this. As always, you can give us a call if you need more help!
Here are some key steps we follow when closing your pool at the end of the swimming season:
- Remove any debris, leaves, or pool toys from the water.
- One week before closing your pool, bring a water sample to The Pool Store for testing. We want to make sure your water is balanced and ready for a long winter. Bring in a clean zip locked bag or a water sample bottle.
- Add closing chemicals as instructed.
- Reduce the water level per manufacturer instructions for your cover.
- Winterize your lines and equipment.
- Inspect your cover for damage and repair if needed. Install winter cover. Make sure to leave enough slack for water to gather from rain and snow if it is a solid vinyl cover.